1. To motivate students to learn
2. To encourage students to apply what they have learned
3. To consolidate what students have learned
4. To monitor the progress of students
5. To better prepare students for public examinations
6. To develop students’ ability of self-regulated learning
7. To develop students’ generic skills
B. Criteria of assigning homework:
1. Different types of homework should be assigned.
2. The quantity and level of difficulty of homework should be manageable to students of diverse learning needs and abilities.
3. The homework assigned should meet the need of the subject.
4. The homework assigned should help developing students’ generic skills.
5. Guidance and support should be given to help students to do homework.
C. Quantity of assignments:
1. The amount of homework assigned by various subjects for each level should be coordinated to ensure its affordability to most of the students.
2. The amount of homework assigned should not exceed the upper limit of four items or three hours per day for junior forms.
3. The amount of homework per cycle should be made known to teachers, students and parents for their reference.
D. Supporting measures for the completion of assignments:
1. A mechanism should be set up to motivate students to complete and hand in their assignments on time.
2. Guidance and help should be provided to students having difficulty in completing the homework assigned to them.